Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day in the Life

After a restless night’s sleep, I wake up with the first sounds of Balian’s fussing. After about an hour of listening to him toss and turn, waking himself up, he finally begins to cry. I pick him up and he quiets down. I take him into his room to change his diaper and get him ready for the day. I have two sets of onesies: one set for just hanging out around the house, and one set for when we go out. Today I put him in a lazy day one. Then I take him to the kitchen where he watches me make his bottle. It has to sit for about five minutes before he can eat, so we go and turn on the TV to Will and Grace, then we take the puppy outside. While Scotty wanders around doing his thing, I sit in a chair and play with Balian. When Scotty is finished, we go inside, sit in the chair, and he eats while I watch Will and Grace. Normally when he finishes eating he falls asleep and I hold him and watch The Golden Girls. When he wakes up, I set him on his back on the floor in the living room and we play. He loves to kick his legs and wiggle and laugh. If I smile at him, he’ll smile back. He also tries to copy a lot of the things that I do, like if I put my hands above my head, after a bit he tries to do it. He also watches my mouth intently and tries to talk. After a while of playing, I give him his medicine for his reflux. Then he has to wait thirty minutes before he can eat. I feed him again and then we feed the puppy. Balian plays for a while, and then takes another little nap on the floor. I use this time to write or to do homework. Sometimes, especially when he falls asleep on me, I’ll take him into our room and lie down with him until he wakes up. After he wakes up again, he eats again, plays for a few, and then goes down for a longer nap, generally a couple of hours. If he hasn’t gone down for this long nap by about 5, then he won’t take a long nap. I give him his medicine again, wait thirty minutes, and then feed him. After he eats, I finally get to eat. We sit and watch NCIS or Law & Order: SVU until about 8. In between 8 and 8:30 he gets a bath. He’s really beginning to like baths! He’ll laugh and giggle and splash and just have a good time! Until it’s time to get out and dry off. He still despises lotion being put on him. After he has his pj’s on and is all ready for bed, he gets his last bottle. After he’s fed and burped, we wait on John to call and say goodnight, then it’s off to bed. Once Balian’s in bed, I work on homework, talk to John, and write. I go to bed at midnight most nights, and am up about every two hours checking on Balian. At around 7:30 am, my day begins again.

1 comment:

  1. Woman, you are amazing. I don't know how you do all this in one day! I firmly believe that women get superpowers when they become mothers. Maybe someday it'll be my turn, eh? Oh, lan, I don't think the world is ready for Katie-spawn. But they'd be cute. Oh so very cute. <3

    Anyway, the only point of this comment is that I love you, and you are awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete